A photojournalism professor once said that in order to be a truly successful photographer (and not go insane), you worked to put food on the table, and then you needed to find something that lit your hair on fire. I think this analogy had something to do with burning passion, but I’m not sure. At the time it was moderately terrifying. I’ve mostly blocked it from my memory.
Personal projects are what keep you going when you’ve shot nothing but building mugs for a week. Personal projects are a breath of fresh air. Personal projects are mostly bullshit.
I’ve heard tell of an age when a project was something that had some kind of ultimate long-term theme or goal (hence the term, “project”). However, as of late, a personal project is any collection of random photos you want to slap a meaningful title onto. After all, it’s…like, personal, right?
Film photos you took of trash cans and discarded mattresses? Project. Cell phone selfies you took with Hipstamatic in gas station restrooms across the midwest? Project. 25 blurry photos of you and your friends drinking PBR in sweet light? You better fucking believe that’s a project. Naked photos you took of your roommate sleeping? Maybe we should have a private chat about that one.
You may be saying, “These photos are for no one but me! I’m not trying to impress anyone! These are the photos that matter!” We disagree with you. For photos that are so deeply personal, you’ve sure dedicated a lot of your twitter feed with links directing to the new gallery on your website.
Don’t act like you haven’t done it. We all have. I have a gallery of pictures I took of my feet with a fucking e.e. cummings quote on my website for christ’s sake, and you know I linked to that shit on my Facebook.
Personal ain’t so personal after all (especially if it increases your web traffic).
Now…about those nude pictures? Hit us up with an email.
- captainimafuckingasshole likes this
- jayabsurd reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike
- lisawilkphoto likes this
- joshpb reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike and added:
- space-k2 said: this blog is so fucking negative and full of bullshit. no more i shall follow this crap. kthxbye.
- jesserogers likes this
- myallan123 likes this
- martinohliger likes this
- ro-av likes this
- kkls likes this
- andbreathe likes this
- davidbr0wie likes this
- myotherbetterthingtodo reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike
- zendimz likes this
- roavl likes this
- samuraishy likes this
- jawajambalaya reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike
- barstoolphilosophy likes this
- ruff-draft likes this
- estenh likes this
- laynehaley reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike
- yainks reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike and added:
- 1chigo1chie reblogged this from shitphotojournalistslike
- quitnguyen likes this
- johnthomasrose likes this
- brooklyntheory likes this
- stephanielchin likes this
- xjonstars likes this
- shythatway likes this
- aleone likes this
- itrybaby likes this
- mathewsmith likes this
- trevorchristensen likes this
- composeandclick likes this
- shitphotojournalistslike posted this