Hello babies, did you miss us?
Three years out of school and gainfully employed (kind of), it’s time to discuss the most formative experience in a photojournalist’s life: the internship. Amongst the three of us, we have roughly 4.5 years of internship experience in working unpaid overtime, forgetting to eat dinner, and crying in weird places. Trust us, we’re experts.
You thought school was tough? Welcome to the real world, fools. It’s time to stop being polite and start getting real.
Being on your first internship is kind of like losing your virginity. You’re super nervous, but you’re acting like this shit is no big deal. It’s going to be awkward, and you’re gonna fuck it up, but it’s cool because it’s your first time around the block, and you’re learning, which is adorable. If it’s your third internship and you’re still fucking up, maybe it’s time to quit having sex and consider a different career path (mixed up my analogies for a second).
That being said, it’s time to do our favorite thing: lump people into broad stereotypes!
The intern, in its many forms:
1. The bright-eyed and bushy-tailed intern: You’re, like, just so excited to be here, and everything is shiny and new and totes AMAZING. The older staffers kind of hate you because you’re stoked on everything (“I get to shoot potholes today?! Oh my god thank you so much for this opportunity!”), but at the same time you’ll work triple overtime without batting an eye, so they let it slide. Voted most likely to be found kissing ass and taking names.
2. The “At my last paper…” intern: You know the drill a little too well. You got lucky and landed a big publication right out of the gate (you love reminding people of this), but you’re currently biding time at a paper you consider to be below your caliber. You think a three month internship at [insert national daily here] makes you more of an authority than people twice your age. Voted most likely to be found kissing ass and dropping names.
3. The “How old are you again?” intern: Seriously, how old are you? Don’t you have a kid? Aren’t you getting a social security check in the mail every month? Voted most likely to be found kissing ass and drinking away the decisions in life that brought them to this moment.
5. The “I’m so broke” intern: Getting your daily dose of calcium from the coffee creamers at work? No one said this would be a high paying “job” in college. Older staffers are getting worried about you because you’ve lost 15 pounds since starting at the paper. Voted: most likely to be found eating the “goodbye” cake three days after the person leaves and asking people with real jobs to buy you lunch (also kissing ass).
4. The forever intern: You’ve had more than four internships and zero regular jobs. People think you’ve gotten hired on full-time because you keep getting your internship extended. Your parents are very worried about your future. You should probably call them. Voted most likely to be found kissing ass and padding resumes.
Awkward photos of us doing intern things:
Taylor looking miserable after shooting SPORTS during her last internship at The Peoria Journal Star (she has no idea who took this photo)
Editor extraordinaire Bruce Moyer making Eve “cry” at her first story pitch meeting during her internship at the Tampa Bay Times. She’s a staffer there now, SO SHE’S NOT AN INTERN ANYMORE. (Photo by Melissa Lyttle)
Clint getting “iced” at SXSW during his internship for Paste (photo by Bailey Evans)